Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Satisfied



Continuing on with the thoughts I started sooooo long ago...oh my goodness, that was April! (If you need a reminder, read it here)...

Searching for satisfaction in my own life, my productivity, my results, more often than not is a dead-end game...true satisfaction can only come from making it my aim above all else to be pleasing to the Lord. Not putting our confidence in how we feel about ourselves, pleasing our moms or mother-in-laws, our super-mom friends, etc. But how? How can I train myself to stop seeking the approval of myself or others, and to focus on Christ's approval?

     Deuteronomy 10:12-13,  
“And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, 
but to fear the Lord your God, 
to walk in all His ways and to love Him, 
to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, 
 and to keep the commandments of the Lord and His statutes 
which I command you today for your good?”

My sister-in-law told me that she asks herself, "What does the Lord require of me?" And the answer is found in this verse. It's not the clean toilet (however nice that might be), or the cleaned dishes, or the reading of amazing books to your children while having their undivided attention and affection...Agh, I make things so difficult for myself, when God has really and truly made it so simple!

~Fear God, not man
~Walk in His ways (be in His word, daily)
~Love Him, the creator and giver of life and salvation
~Serve others, not yourself
~Keep His Word--obey Him 

*It’s not about: my accomplishments, techniques, expertise, amazingly well-behaved children, checked off lists, a "feeling" or sense of accomplishment
*It’s about: keeping in check what God truly requires of us--

It’s not that we abandon our earthly work and become lackadaisical-- it’s that our earthly work has more purpose because we are freed up to please the Lord and not man...believing that true satisfaction only comes from Christ helps us to hold our work loosely, not depending on it to satisfy or sanctify.

I find it so easy to forget these truths, and sometimes I come to the end of the day ragged and disheartened, but even then, going to the Lord and seeking Him for comfort, remembering that His grace is sufficient and when I am weak, then He is strong, helps me to gain a refocused heart and seek to please Him tomorrow.